Swartout Schoolhouse

Brandon & Melissa Rosso Residence

Swartout Schoolhouse

Brandon & Melissa Rosso Residence

 

8334 McKinley

Clay Township., MI

Close
Get Directions
'; ';
Options hide options
Print Reset
Fetching directions...

Swartout Schoolhouse

 The Schoolhouse Block depicts a one room School, therefore the perfect block to be chosen to represent this site.  

The building was built in the 1870’s as a one room school. Thomas Henry Folkerts, concerned for his six children’s education, deeded a part of his farm to be used as a school.  The Swarthout School was named by teacher Harry A. Stone, for the large number of students attending class with that last name.  Later the “h” was dropped from the name to become the Swartout School.  An additional room was added to the school in the 1920’s, along with indoor bathroom facilities, making it a two-room school.   Margaret Folkert French and Alice Folkert were two of the first to teach in the new room.  Genevieve White was the last teacher to teach at the Swartout School.  The building was then used for special education serving the Clay Township Community until 1955.  Now it serves as a private residence owned by the Rosso Family for the last 28 years.

Hanging the block

Father and son hanging the block just under the bell tower.

 

Is it straight?

It was important to get it squared and stable.

From the road

The schoolhouse block from across the road. It looks like it was always there.