Evans Family Farm

Columbus Township, MI

Evans Family Farm

1677 Kronner Road

Columbus, MI

Close
Get Directions
'; ';
Options hide options
Print Reset
Fetching directions...

Evans Family Farm

This block was chosen to honor the Evans family memories and the Evans women’s passion for quilting. The pig was chosen as Heidi’s favorite farm animal. The cardinal was chosen to represent the family members who are no longer living, who worked so hard on this farm. 

The Evans’ homestead, a six-generation family farm, is one of the oldest family owned and operated farms in Columbus Township, St. Clair County, Michigan.  

Acreage on both sides of the Belle River was purchased around 1840 by grist miller and English immigrant, Thomas East. The farm has been occupied by the East/Evans family for over 180 years. The original East farm had an operating grist mill on Belle River where they ground up grain to make flour. 

Thomas East’s two sons inherited the property on the north side of Belle River on Kronner Road and Martha, his daughter, inherited the 84 acres on the south side of Belle River.  Martha married Charles Evans, son of a local farmer Charles B. Evans. They owned the property currently known as the Latimer Farm, purchasing it around 1840, as well. Charles B. Evans’ family immigrated to Columbus Township from Ireland as landowners/farmers escaping the potato famine. The current Evans Farm has raised crops, cattle, pigs. It also has been a working milk producing farm throughout the years.

The farm continues to be loved and holds many special memories by all the Evans descendants. The current owners are the children of the late Lawrence (Murray) and Janice Evans. They are Tim Evans, and Jeff and Heidi Evans Phillips.  Heidi and her husband, Jeff, currently live on the farm with Heidi’s sons, Brandon Evans and Kyle Smith.    

This family farm has provided the Evans family a proud heritage and legacy.  

Hanging the block

Hanging the block on point is a challenge, met by the two ladders, a scaffold and willing workers.

The Evans Boys

The Evans boys seen in this picture came from a family of 15. From left to right, O.B., Charles, Isaac, Elmer, Will, Henry, and Duncan.

 East Family

The East family has a reunion at the Evans farm in 1923. When the farm was first settled it was Indian trails and cow paths. The history of the farm can be tracked back 187 years.