The Colony Tower

Colony Tower

6503 Dyke Road

Clay Township, MI

Close
Get Directions
'; ';
Options hide options
Print Reset
Fetching directions...

Colony Tower

The quilt block for the historic 1925 Colony Tower depicts the tower itself in the center. Along the sides are flying geese heading north and returning south. Colorful diamond shapes are added to the top and bottom, making this block shine.

The Colony Tower Complex is a decorative water tower, with a gate and gatehouse.   “Built in 1925 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Works, this steel-framed water tower was the main water supplier for “The Colony on the St. Claire” ~~ a secluded residential community established in Clay Township during the early 1920s. 

In 2002, The Colony Tower was bought by Clay Township for $1. In   2004, Clay Township performed a total restoration on the tower, shoring up the foundation and giving it new paint. 

The Colony Tower is a welcome sight and landmark for people driving down the Dyke Rd from Detroit. It is one of Clay Township’s most notable landmarks.  Every Christmas, the Colony Homeowners Association decorates the tower with wreaths and Christmas lights for all to enjoy.

For more information on the Colony Tower, visit www.claytownship.org

Quilt block mounted

The quilt block is mounted on a sign post in the front yard. Scan the QR code with your cell phone for more information.

Historic Site

The Colony Tower is a designated Michigan Historic site.

The Colony Tower

The Colony Tower is a landmark along the Dyke Road visible to travelers heading north or south.