Log Cabin

Algonac/Clay Historical Society

Log Cabin 

 

Algonac-Clay Historical Society

4710 Pointe Tremble Rd. Algonac, MI

 

Close
Get Directions
'; ';
Options hide options
Print Reset
Fetching directions...

 

Log Cabin

The Log Cabin quilt block is the obvious choice for the Algonac-Clay Township Historical Society (ACHS) Log Cabin. The block looks like the logs of a cabin surrounding the red center. The red represents the hearth of the home. The “logs” are done in earth tone colors, dark representing the sorrows of life, and light depicting the joyful times.

The log cabin located in Clay Township, Michigan began as a one room schoolhouse in approximately 1830. The log cabin was originally located on the corner of Ainsworth (now Muskrat Run) and Pointe Tremble Road (now M-29).

The log cabin was relocated to Pearl Beach, Michigan on the Bedford family property, owned by the family from 1882 to 1973. In July 1983 a two bedroom home, last occupied by Ernest Bedford, was being torn down. During demolition, the removal of the siding revealed that a log structure existed within the modern Bedford home. Restoration began in 1984 when the newly founded Clay Township Historical Society obtained the log structure. The structure was moved on July 27, 1984, to its present site across from the Clay Township Hall, three miles south of Algonac, Michigan on M-29.

Many relevant period artifacts and furniture that would have been found in a period log cabin home have been donated from area residents and are on display in the log cabin.

For more information about Algonac-Clay Historical Society, its museums, their Welcome Center, and gift shop, visit achistory.com.

Hanging the block

Historical Society Members met to hang the quilt block on posts near the Log Cabin. They didn’t want to damage the historic building.

Proud Workers

The team posed before the block, proud of a job well done.

Log Cabin

The Log Cabin sits at the site of the Clay Township park and municipal buildings.